Are you aware of all the common holistic therapies out there? Which modality would be best suited to your client's specific needs? What are the modalities that require a lot more intense training and supervision?
IN THIS PODCAST:
- Guided imagery
This means being in the present moment, not worrying about the future or the past. You are just connecting to what is right here, right now.
You can do this by:
- 5-4-3-2-1 technique (5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste)
- Doing a body scan
- Internally asking what you need at that very moment
Be extra careful with this modality, especially if you are working with someone who has experienced trauma.
Have your clients see what works for them and practice it outside of therapy, as much as possible.
3. GUIDED IMAGERY
Using this in therapy can be very powerful and a common one to use could be to think about a safe place, imagery for relaxation. And this combined with breathwork can really make a big difference.
There are so many forms of meditation and as always, there is no right or wrong way. You have to experiment and practice to see what works.
A few are:
- Transcendental movement based
- Loving kindness
- Progressive relaxation
This is about helping the parasympathetic to engage, to settle down the nervous system, especially with anxiety.
It can be broken down into grounding practices (helps with anxiety, stress, feeling hyped up) and energizing practices (helps with depression, trauma, dissociation).
Energy healing helps physical, emotional, and spiritual issues. It comes from universal life energy force. It works with removing blockages and releasing negative energy.
This is using plant-based essential oils that help harmonize mind, body, and spirit and helps to heal.
You can inhale using a diffuser, you can combine different essential oils to cater to different needs such as balance, motivation, or relaxation. It can also be used on your skin (mix with a carrier oil first).
Connect With Me
- Instagram @holisticcounselingpodcast
- Join the private Facebook group
- Sign up for my free email course: www.holisticcounselingpodcast.com
- Rate, review, and subscribe to this podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Spotify and Google Podcasts.
Resources Mentioned And Useful Links:
- How to Integrate Holistic Strategies Into Clinical Practice Safely and Effectively
- Essential oils I use - DoTerra
- BOOK: You are here
- BOOK: Peace in every step
- BOOK: Full Catastrophe Living (Revised Edition): Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
- Subtle Yoga
- Body Mind Spirit Expo
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network